English French

Frequently Asked Questions

Q.    How do I access WORK Inc. Services

A.     WORK Inc. offers a variety of supports to individuals with a wide range of life challenges. Depending upon your need, we can provide a range of services that are customized to provide a person centered and individualized experience. Most of WORK Inc. services for individuals with disabilities are “closed referral” programs, meaning that they are only available to individuals who have been found eligible to receive services from a state agency that provides funding for the service we offer, however, referrals are also accepted from individuals who are able to privately pay for services.

Q.    What are WORK Inc.’s funding sources?


1.)   Referrals and funding for residential services primarily come from the Department of Developmental Services (DDS), the Massachusetts Rehabilitation Commission (MRC) and the Massachusetts Commission for the Blind MCB). However, referrals are also accepted from individuals who are seeking an opportunity to live more independently and are able to pay privately.  

2. ) Referrals and funding for Employment Services  come from the Department of Developmental Services (DDS), the Massachusetts Rehabilitation Commission (MRC), the Massachusetts Commission for the Blind (MCB), and the Massachusetts Department of Transitional Assistance (DTA). WORK Inc. is an Employment Network (EN) for the Ticket To Work Program, so if you receive Social Security Benefits you may be eligible for services through this program. We also accept referrals from individuals who are able to pay privately.

3.)   Funding for our Strides Day Habilitation Program is provided by the Massachusetts Department of Medical Assistance.

4.)    Funding for our Family Support Services are provided by the Department of Developmental Services (DDS). Our Family Support Center offers information and referral for families providing support for a disabled family member and can help with the DDS eligibility process.

To find out more about eligibility please click on the links provided above.

Q.    Which state funding source am I eligible for?


Department of Development Services (DDS)

To be eligible for DDS Services the adult must: be 18 years or older; and, be domiciled in Massachusetts, which generally means residing and intending to remain in Massachusetts permanently or for an indefinite period; and, have an intellectual disability as defined in DDS regulations. An application process is required for DDS eligibility. To learn more about the DDS eligibility process, go to www.mass.gov/dds or call DDS Central Office at 617.727.5608.

Department of Massachusetts Rehabilitation (MRC)

Employment: The MRC Vocational Rehabilitation Services (VRS) Program works with people with disabilities to help them obtain and retain employment. To receive vocational rehabilitation services from the MRC-VRS Program, you   must: have a physical, psychiatric or learning disability(ies) which severely limits your ability to get and keep a job and have a desire to work. To learn more about the MRC eligibility process call and/or visit a MRC-VR office to make an appointment.

Independent Living: Any individual with a significant physical, mental, cognitive or sensory impairment for whom the delivery of IL services will improve their ability to: function, continue functioning or move towards functioning independently in the family or community, and/or obtain, maintain or advance in employment. For eligibility information please contact your local Independent Living center IL Centers.

Department of Transitional Assistance (DTA)

There are a variety of programs offered for Transitional Aid to Families with Dependent Children (TAFDC) clients under ESP. The primary goal of these programs is to provide clients with the basic skills, education, occupational skills and support services needed to acquire and retain jobs. To see if you are eligible for TAFDC please contact your local DTA Office  DTA Locations.

Massachusetts Commission for the Blind (MCB)

Employment:  The person must have a disability of legal blindness which for that person constitutes or results in a substantial impediment to employment. The person must require vocational rehabilitation services to prepare for, secure, retain, or regain employment. There must be a determination that the person can benefit in terms of an employment outcome from vocational rehabilitation services.

Residential Services: Independent Living Social Services are provided for legally blind individuals who need assistance to become more independent. Specialized services, including some fairly simple devices and techniques, can often vastly improve a legally blind person's quality of life. Each consumer referred to the program works with a professional case manager. Services are planned and provided individually based on the person's unique needs

To learn more please contact John Oliveira at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. .

Q. Once I am found eligible and approved for a funded service what is the next step?

A.  Please contact our AVP of Client Services Fiona Healey on 617.691.1700 or at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. .  You will be guided through the referral process and  develop a customized plan for the services you wish to receive.

Q. What geographical areas do you cover?

A. WORK Inc. provides services throughout the Greater Boston regional area. Today we   provide services as far north as Andover and as far south as New Bedford. Please call 617-691-1700 for additional information about our areas of service.

Q. How do you measure quality and feedback?

A. WORK Inc. is extremely committed to continuously improving our services. At WORK Inc. Outcome Management is a strategic approach to ensure that initiatives are designed around our outcomes and that the intended outcomes are achieved. We use a number of tools to measure our customer feedback and conduct annual surveys with all stakeholders to ensure satisfaction.

How do I know your employees are trained to work with me or my family member and are the people you serve involved in the hiring process?

A. The individuals that we serve are included in the hiring and evaluation process for the staff supporting them. Once a potential employee has passed our preliminary screening process they are interviewed by an individual served   who will then provide feedback to the hiring manager. It is also our policy to include an individual served feedback survey with all annual employee evaluations for staff who work directly with the people we serve. We provide an extensive staff orientation including core competency trainings such as Human Rights Training and CPR/First Aid. Also, through our new Web based Training Management System eAcademy, we are now able to provide over 600 specialized trainings to all Work Inc. staff.

What is the Culinary Art Institute at WORK Inc.?

A. Work Inc. is now offering a Culinary Arts training program to prepare job seekers to pursue their dream of a career path in the culinary profession. This dynamic 6-10 week experiential class teaches participants the skills required to successfully enter and thrive in the culinary service sector. Taught by an experienced, teacher trained at Johnson and Wales University, participants will learn a variety of essential skills such as SERVSAFE skill sets, sanitation, safe food handling, proper cooking temperatures and knife skills .

Once these skills are in place participants will be provided with a paid internship that provides 120 hours of practice application of skills at WORK Inc.’s Freeport Street Café. Participants will rotate through six stations that include;

  • Front of the House
  • Grill Station
  • Sandwich Station
  • Serving
  • Prep/dishwashing
  • Cashier

Participants who complete the classes and internship are awarded a certificate of completion and skill mastery. Participants seeking job placement in the culinary sector may move onto job placement though our career services department. Our team of career development specialists will begin working with them to secure employment opportunities.

Work Inc. and our Freeport Street Café team up excited to offer this hands on learning experience to make our students dreams come true.

How can I participate to get job training and job placement services?

A. If you are interested in WORK Inc.’s Culinary Training Institute please contact;

Andrea Pitty at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Who can participate?

A. Individuals with disabilities funded through DDS, MRC, DTA,MCB, private pay

    Students currently enrolled in high school engaging in transition to work activities